Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Author Insight 01


The Anticipation

I don’t know how insightful this will be, but here it goes. I thought writing and publishing a book was the hardest thing I’d ever done, but marketing a book is so much harder. I’m a little overwhelmed by all the aspects of getting my book into people’s hands, but that’s nothing new. I don’t think I would know what to do with myself if I wasn’t a little overwhelmed at some point. True aspirations can’t be too easy, otherwise why bother to aspire them.

I’m hosting a virtual launch party for my book this weekend at my facebook fan page. This won’t be an opportunity for me to sell any books. In fact, I’ll be giving stuff away. I hope it will be an opportunity for people to learn about my book, and even a little about me, in hopes that it will inspire people to read it. I’m really hoping that people will ask questions and get engaged. More than anything, at this point, I want to have a good time with my book and my marketing efforts. If I can’t find joy in what I’m doing, there’s just no point in doing it.

I don’t think I could ever lose the joy of writing, but it’s too early to tell how I’ll ultimately feel about publishing. Until I find out, I’ll just keep on writing. While trying to spread the word about Eternal Curse: Giovanni Angel, I’m already seeking beta readers for its sequel, and am venturing into other writing projects outside of the Eternal Curse Universe.

Lastly, I’ve reached a point where I’m just ready for someone else to read the book so I can finally talk about it. So few have read it up to now and my brain is screaming into my ears wanting to converse about the characters, the setting, and the evolution of the story. The anticipation of being able to talk about the story far outweighs the fear of criticism I’m sure to get. If did I didn’t receive any criticism, I’d worry because then I’d know that no one cared enough to complain about it.