Thursday, March 7, 2013

Guest Post 14: Karen Ingalls


I traveled to the northern part of the U.S.A. to do a book reading/signing at a Barnes & Noble bookstore for Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir, and to seek future opportunities to spread the word about ovarian cancer. The audience consisted mainly of friends, but four strangers were there because of God’s plan or purpose. One woman read about the event in the newspaper, which had a two-sentence announcement. She was a 14year, Stage III or IV survivor. “When I was diagnosed, I didn’t think I’d see another Christmas.” We talked for a while then hugged each other knowing we were sisters doing what we could to help other women.

There was a woman in the front row sitting alone. Each time I looked in her direction, her eyes were on me and with a beautiful smile on her face. While I signed a book, I learned that she came to get information for her neighbor, who was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Her neighbor did not feel well enough to come, so this young lady gave her neighbor the gifts of kindness, generosity, and time. God bless them both.

“Please sign my book for a dear friend who has ovarian cancer. She planned on coming herself, but was unable to,” were the words from a smiling elderly lady. When I handed a book to her I noticed a brace on her left wrist. I gently placed my hand on it, and she said, “Oh, my husband has Alzheimer’s and he….” I wrapped my arms around her and told her that she was an angel, because she helped people in need; her friend and her husband.

The third lady, named Jane, was in Barnes & Noble to buy some books to read on her trip to Ireland the next day. While she browsed the shelves, she heard my voice over the microphone, and being drawn to the subject she stood in the back and listened. She bought the last copy of my book at the store. She pulled a photograph out of her purse and said, “Here is a picture of me and my mother. She died 4 months ago from ovarian cancer.” Tears rolled down her cheeks and she shared how much she missed her mother. We were once two strangers, but now new friends. Just listening to her talk about her mother, my shoulder to cry on, and my arms around her appeared to be all she needed right then.

There is no doubt in my mind that God led each of these women to be at that particular bookstore that night and at that time. I will never be able to thank God enough for bringing them into my life. They each demonstrated different ways God works through each of us. Often we call it serendipity. Thank you, God.

~What another powerful message from a very special woman and author. To learn more about Karen Ingalls visit the following links:


Be sure to return tomorrow for more words of inspiration as I interview Karen Ingalls. You’ll have a chance to take advantage of a very special offer.

Karen Ingalls’s book  Outshine: An Ovarian Cancer Memoir will be available at a 40% discount from Wednesday March 6 thru Wednesday March 16. Visit BeaversPondBooks.com and type the word "Outshine" in the coupon box. Enjoy!