Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Do Angels and Demons, Fantasy, and Mystery Interest You?

These are previous posts that have been dusted off, updated, and freshly presented to an audience that’s never seen them. These limited posts originate from the companion blogs I’ve written for the first two installments of the Eternal Curse Series (40 Days and Nights of Eternal Curse & EC: Battleground a Survival Guide).
*******************************************************************************************
You see, I was worried about whether or not I was writing something that people would actually want to read. When I think about the types of books, I like to read and the things my closest friends and family read, it doesn’t always match up. Then I realized… that’s what reading is all about. Sometimes you have to read something to find out whether or not you like it; and every now then you come across something that has mass appeal.

That’s what I’m aiming for, mass appeal. It may not be a realistic goal, but it’s a goal no less. I honestly think that most people would like my book if they just took the time read it. It doesn’t mean they have to like every printed word on the paper. For instance(speaking of movies), I’m the kind of girl who loves action, sci-fi, fantasy, quirky and dark comedy, and even a good mystery or thriller. Having said that, I can’t ignore that there are at least 10 chick-flicks that I will stop to watch at any time of the day, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s is at the top of that list. That just goes to show you that sometimes you can like things that you wouldn’t normally like.

So… angels and demons…sounds a little weird, or creepy, or even spiritual. Well that’s because it is. It’s supposed to be. All religions aside, spirituality can be really cool. Everyday people read, write, and watch artistic expressions about magic, scientific impossibilities, vampires, and werewolves; why not throw in some angels and demons too. If you aren’t afraid to look inside the pages of my book, you just might find something you like.

In my story, there is a definitive line drawn between right and wrong and good and evil, as the Eternal Curse unravels due to the decisions the characters make. Even when people know what’s supposed to be right and wrong or black and white, as human beings we tend walk down a gray path, treading the line separating righteousness and evil. This whole notion of blending good and bad is a struggle my hero has to face. I think everyone deals with a similar struggle at some point in our lives, no matter what we believe. I think that’s the kind of stuff that makes for a good story.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Click below to share your Reactions and more. See you next time, Toi Thomas. #cursescanbebroken