Friday, August 9, 2013

Interview: Tina Frisco

Greetings humans, half-breeds, and everything in between. A while back, I had the pleasure to interview a wonderful author named, Tina Frisco. A good time was truly had by all and here’s how it went down.
Image provided by author

Hi there Tina! It’s so awesome to have you here at the ECS Blog. Don’t worry about the darkness, your eyes will adjust. 


So tell me, who is Tina Frisco?

I’m an author, singer-songwriter-performer, RN, shaman apprentice, and activist.  I was born in the USA in Pennsylvania, attended nursing school in New York, and live in California.  I began writing as a child and received my first guitar at age 14, which launched my passion for music and song-writing.  I’ve performed publicly in many local venues.  My publishing history includes book reviews, essays, articles in the field of medicine, and my début novel - Plateau: Beyond the Trees, Beyond 2012 - published in July 2012.  Included in my pursuits are writing, reading, music, and exploring nature.

Well you sound like quite the Renaissance woman. I can tell already, that this is going to be a fun interview. 

So whacha got for me today?

smashwords.com
The underlying message in Plateau: Beyond the Trees, Beyond 2012 is that we must keep our hearts open and act from love instead of react from fear, and we must practice gratitude and compassion within every moment and with every breath. In so doing, we'll help elevate the human species to a higher consciousness, facilitating both personal and global peace. And above all, we must harm none and walk in beauty. During this time of great change, the question millions are asking across the globe is "Will love prevail over fear?" Plateau proffers a dash of insight and a bounty of hope. (See a 5 star review of this book by Nancy E. Robertson)

I really like the message of this book. It sounds very inspirational. I too like to envelop my books with a sense of hope. I really like the cover of this book. It has such a wonderful use of colors.

So who’s starring is this 2 dimensional script read of Plateau?

W'Hyani, the protagonist in Plateau, is ​a 15-year-old tribal female who discovers her strengths and destiny by overcoming adversity while honoring the wisdom of her elders. Her will, fortitude, and ingenuity are tested ​relentlessly​​. She must learn to trust blindly and overcome fear exhaustively, without fully knowing why she was born the Keeper of the Crystal Heart, the requisite key to the Great Mosaic of Life. She ultimately comes face-to-face with herself in a battle that would shrink the will of the most intrepid warrior, unaware that ​realizing her destiny will irrevocably impact all beings on earth and beyond. The Great Mosaic of Life holds a message of hope that would allow us to see and live beyond the year 2012. W'Hyani's people inject humor and wisdom throughout this tale of adventure and mystery.

Wow, I was not expecting this character description after seeing the cover, but it really seems to fit. I like that your heroine is a tribal girl. I think it sounds very exotic, but have a feeling that it will be pleasantly down to earth.

Past, present, future, is there a rhyme or reason to your writing?

I’ve written many songs and performed in many local venues. When writing my books, I work at my computer and allow my thoughts to flow. I don’t create a story outline beforehand, but jot down ideas for future chapters that occur to me while I’m writing. I’m totally focused on writing and allow no distractions. The dictionary, thesaurus, and Gregg Reference Manual are my constant companions during this process. I’m currently working on a sequel to Plateau, as well as a series of children’s books.

I admire your talents and the determination in which you pursue them. You seem to be very focused and organized. I admire the fact that you use a reference manual, they are so helpful; everyone needs a little help with their writing sometimes.

What author(s) has most influenced your writing? Why or how?

Lynn Andrews has inspired me the most. Her willingness to write about her spiritual growth in a detailed and personal way profoundly encouraged my writing. (See a review of Andrews’s Coming Full Circle by Tina Frisco)

I must admit that I’m not very familiar with Lynn Andrew’s work, though I have heard of her book Medicine Woman before. She seems like a very dynamic personality. If she has the insight and experience to help you on your writing journey, I’m glad you were able to find her work and connect with it.

Whose brain are you just itching to scratch?

I’d love to interview Albert Einstein. Not only was he a brilliant scientist, but he was also an inspiring philosopher with a wonderful sense of humor!

I agree. A man who was told he was dumb as child and then grows up to show the world something it had never seen before, definitely sounds like he’d have something interesting say.

Who is so you and why?

BarnesandNoble.com
I would say I relate to Lonesome Star, the protagonist in WomanChief, by Benjamin Capps. I find her to be particularly inspiring. The novel is based on the true story of a Crow woman who rose to the rank of Chief despite her gender. She was unrivaled as a hunter-warrior within her tribe, rejecting the traditional duties of women. Females – especially girls – in our modern society could learn a lot from her.

How very empowering she sounds and so does the book. This is one I’m adding to me TBR list right now.

What’s your ideal reading spot for your next highly anticipated read?

My ideal reading spot is my rocker chair with footstool, within a quiet environment and a cup of tea at my side. I’m about to read the paperback book, Adela, by Mary Nicol Jones. I’m eager to read Mary’s book for two reasons: 1) she’s a neighbor, and 2) it encompasses the theme of overcoming adversity with a tenacious and determined spirit.

That’s cool that you live close to another author and that you guys are friends. I’ve seen the cover of her book. It looks quite peaceful, but I guess that’s why they say don’t judge a book by its cover. An overcoming adversity story has to stir you up a little bit…Oh, and your reading spot sounds cozy.

What was your favorite book or story, pre-teen years?

Wikipedia
TheLast of the Mohicans was my favorite book in elementary school.  I love reading fiction about indigenous peoples that contains historical references.

I can see you have a great love for the life, history, and ways of indigenous peoples. I can understand why you like this book and can understand it leaving a lasting impression on you...Now this is where the questions get a little kooky; are you ready?

You becha!

Alright then, here we go.

If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, what would it be?
IMDB

WhaleRider is a movie I’ve seen many times, and I anticipate watching it many times more! It’s the story of a New Zealand girl who becomes the leader of her people, despite this honor having been reserved only for males throughout their history. She’s aware of her destiny and pursues it implacably.

Ya know, I think I’m beginning to notice a pattern here (hehe). You definitely like what you like. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the story of Whale Rider and can see why you like it.

What makes you geek out?

I love crossword and variety puzzles. They not only challenge my cerebral acumen, but I also learn a lot!

What a great answer. I actually went through a phase when I was obsessed with crossword puzzles. I eventually snapped out of it, but I still enjoy them on long trips. You do learn a lot from them.

So what’s testing your patience right now?

I’ve just begun working on a series of children’s books. Writing for children is especially exacting, because you’re reaching for two audiences: children and parents. So the story line must be one that will engage the child as well as attract and meet the standards of the parent, the person buying the book.

I'm also looking forward to my dear friends' 5oth-wedding-anniversary gala in August. The entire clan will be there, a warm and jocular bunch of folks with whom I always enjoy spending time. Their celebrations are remarkably festive, and I need a little infusion of festivity right now! Book marketing/promotion is extremely time-consuming and, of late, has left little room for just plain fun!

I’ve always wanted to write a children’s book and maybe one day I will. I’m very excited for you and your journey down this special road.

Hear hear, I agree with you about book marketing. Sometimes it’s nice to have a getaway from it all. A 50 year wedding anniversary is a rare and special thing. I truly hope you have a wonderful time.
 
When the soundtrack of your life is playing in your head, what songs express your glee and what songs bring out your rage?

Jazz is the only genre of music that I don’t like. I actually find it irritating. Music that catches my ear has what I term, “pattern and prelude.” I have a special place in my heart for the songs I’ve written and often go about my day humming them. Joan Baez, John Denver, and Emmylou Harris are among my favorite artists. Joan’s Wind Rose, John’s Sweet Surrender, <=listen and Emmylou’s The Pearl <=listen affect me on a deep level. And the soundtracks from Last of the Mohicans and Chariotsof Fire make my heart swell and my spirit soar.

I’ve heard a lot of people say that they find Jazz to be irritating, but I like it. I also understand how after a while it could drive a person crazy. I was really looking forward to your reply to this question. I had a feeling that folk music would be involved somehow. I figured a singer-song writer like you would have something profound to say about music.

What’s the most fun experience you’ve ever had, to date?

Travelling throughout the southwest with three friends and two tents is a highlight in my life. We camped mainly on BLM land, where one doesn’t – or didn’t, at the time – need a permit. So we were out in the wide open spaces, free-spirited and enjoying every moment. At one point, we even came face to face with a herd of cows!

Travel camping does actually sound nice, but I don’t know if I could do it for very long. I bet you guys had an amazing view of the sky. I can only imagine just how non-stressful that trip must have been. Ah, nature.

Not that you can see into the future, but in your opinion, what does the future hold?

My dream for the future is to live in a little cabin in the woods, growing healing herbs, singing and playing my guitar, communing with nature, and writing whatever spirit moves me to write.

It’s so simple and I like it.

Is there a question you would like to ask me?

Q: How do you juggle your time in order to write books, maintain an exceptional blog, and simultaneously have a life?

A: I don’t always, but I’m getting better at it. As with all things, practice makes perfect and I do my homework. I take advantage of the many organizational and scheduling tools to maximize my blogging efforts. I literally have to schedule breaks and fun time for myself or I’ll just work myself crazy. As for writing, I try to schedule that too, but when my creativity is flowing, all bets are off.

Well Tina, I’ve really had a wonderful time getting to know you. Thank you so much for stopping by. I wish you the best in all your endeavors.

Ok humans, half-breeds, and everything in between, that’s all for today. Be sure to follow this blog to see who will be visiting next time. For more from Tina Frisco, check out these great links:

GoodReads: Tina Frisco
LinkedIn: Tina Frisco
Purchase links for Plateau: Smashwords, Amazon, Barnes & Noble & Nook

Today, Tina has been so gracious as to offer Plateau  for FREE at Smashwords.com. So be sure to stop by and download your free copy. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Click below to share your Reactions and more. See you next time, Toi Thomas. #cursescanbebroken