Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Review: Cinder

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, book 1) by Marissa Meyer

I give this book a 4.

Cinder is just as the book and cover suggests, a futuristic retelling of the classic Cinderella story, but there is the brink of a great space war looming in the background. It tells the story of a cyborg teen, a mechanic, commonly referred to as Cinder. There is a mean stepmother and stepsister, but there is also a nice stepsister. There is also a scary plague and some crazy curfews and rules about life as a cyborg. So when Cinder has a chance encounter with the charming Prince Kai, the last thing she wants is for anyone to know about it, especially not him. No one can know that the Prince has associated with a cyborg peasant, but before long, that’s the least of Cinder’s worries.

I’m a fan of fairy tales and all their retellings, so it would have to take quite a bit for me not to like this story, but even with my own personal bias, I think this is a really good story. It is very creative and imaginative. I think what I like most about the story is that Cinder isn’t presented as just another girl. I know she’s a cyborg, but she’ll still a person. What I mean is that, deep down, in most Cinderella stories the girl really does want to go to the ball and dance with the prince and have butterflies flutter across the sky, but that’s not Cinder. Her youth is gone and she has too much else on her mind to even think about the ball, but that doesn’t mean she hasn’t wasted a few moments thinking about how cute the prince is.

Then there is the matter of the plague, the threat of war, and the moon people. I was very impressed with the way the multiple conflicts mingled in this story. The whole idea of the traditional love story is almost put on the back burner as the rest of the story takes over. I unfortunately have read too many books and seen to many movies to be kept in the dark about Cinder’s greatest secret. I figured it out pretty quickly, but I was still impressed with how it came together. I have a feeling there will be more action in the follow up story, simply based on the amount of intrigue and conflict in this one. Needless to say, I’m looking forward to continuing this story.

This review has been posted to GoodReads
If you’d like to obtain a copy of this book, try these links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Click below to share your Reactions and more. See you next time, Toi Thomas. #cursescanbebroken