Monday, October 29, 2012

Author Insight 10


I’m braking away from the norm. Monday is usually my day of blog rest, but since Sandy has me trapped, I might as well write. Plus, I’m on a roll with this whole review thing right now.
How to write a review: Part 2.

Step 3. Summarize the book in one of two ways.

                a. The blurb-explain what you feel the book was about providing some plot points in 100 words or less. If you are a master blurb writer, go for 100 to 200 words.
                b. The Spoiler- explain exactly what happened in the story, beginning, middle, and end. So as not to lose your audience, try to keep your spoiler around 500 to 800 words. (Always indicate whether your review will contain spoilers as a curtsey to other readers)

Step 4. Then explain why you gave the book its overall rating. If you are not sure how to do that, simply answer the following questions. (There is no preferred word length for this)

                a. What was the overall theme of the book and did you like it?
                b. How did you feel about the pace of the plot and the plot development?
                c. How did you feel about the character development?
                d. How did you feel about the finale of the book?

There are many more questions that could be included in your assessment, but these are the basic points I think most people look for in a good review…I’m still working out the details of what I’m now calling, A Review Challenge. What do you think of the image so far?


See Part1: steps 1&2, Part2: steps 3&4, Part3: Step 5, Part4: Posting.