Friday, October 26, 2012

Interview 03: Justin Bruytens


Greetings, humans, half-breeds, and everything in between. This week I had the pleasure to interview my new friend, Justin Bruytens, an aspiring writer and fresh young blogger. A good time was truly had by all, and here’s how it went down. 
Hi there, Justin! It’s so awesome to have you here at the ECS Universe. Don’t worry about the darkness, your eyes will adjust. Let’s get started.

So who is Justin Bruytens?

I am a young aspiring writer. In order to improve my writing skills, and to encourage myself to write more, I decided to make a blog, so I guess I am a blogger as well. I am generally weird, open minded, and calm, even when aggravated. As for what I prefer to write about… well I write about many things on my blog, but in my stories I so far just stick to fantasy/fiction.

I’m a big fan of fantasy and fiction as well, though I realize those are both broad terms. It’s that you know what you like. I’m sure it helps when you’re writing.


So whacha got for me today?


School, practicing guitar, writing, and my blog take up a lot of my time, which together normally result in me being way too tired. As a result of this I sleep A LOT on the weekends; also most of my writing is done on the weekends. The only other thing I can think to add is writing is my favorite thing to do, playing/practicing guitar comes second, and I love going to concerts and listening to loud music.

 As a writer I figured writing would be you favorite activity, but it’s pretty cool that you play guitar and like music.


Where did the inspiration come to start your project?

Many different things contributed to my decision to start my website, where I do my blog and reviews. Exposure and practice were the two major factors.

 I hear that. I fought the need to start a blog for the longest time, but I think I’m getting the hang of it.


What is best and worst thing or experience about blogging, in your opinion?

Aren’t really many bad things that I can think of about blogging, only thing that is kind of annoying is thinking of a topic, but often times I will discover a topic while living my everyday life.

 That’s a cool way to look at it. I still have trouble coming up with topics to write about. I guess that’s why I like doing interviews….

Do you ever blog about your stories or works in progress?

I do and plan to continue to do so, but I don't do it to such a degree that I force feed my work down all the readers that I have, at least not to my knowledge.


Any comments on blog comments?

I LOVE comments and I LOVE feedback… Of course only compliments and constructive, comments saying “You are terrible” Are really just a waste of everyone’s time, if you don’t like something avoid it… Also, so far they are hard to come by for me, I assume because not that many people look at my blog.

 That may have something to do with it, but I don’t think that’s all of it. I have to admit that I often don’t leave comments, though I am getting better about it.


Who’s brain are you just itching to scratch?

This is probably the easiest question for me… Without a doubt Marilyn Manson. He is one of the only role models that I have ever really had; even if it’s not at the point where I just worship everything he does and says. I still think about the words that come out of his mouth. For those of you that don’t know he is a controversial figure for many valid reasons, and the lead singer of the band Marilyn Manson. I first began to "look up to him" after I finished reading his autobiography, which revealed to me many things about him that I did not know, and made me look at a lot of things in a different way.

 Controversy is definitely something that Marilyn Manson exudes. I can see how a young man like you can relate to or find inspiration in him, but don’t get too caught up in “worshiping” him. He’s just a guy like you… Lift yourself up some J

Now this where the questions get a little kooky; are you ready?

Brah, yes!

Alright then, here we go.


Who is so you and why?

There isn’t really anyone I have been compared to as a result of looking like, or being like. But I was called Justin Bieber for a decent amount of time, only as a result of my initials being J. B.

 Isn’t it funny the connections people make sometimes? I would never have thought to make  that connection myself.


What’s makes you chill?

What always relieves stress for me is listening to music, to be more specific listening to faster paced more “aggressive” music.

 My husband used to listen to a lot of what he calls “angry young man music” whenever he wanted to blow off steam. I guess it must really work. He’s always been such a laid back guy….

Any thoughts on techno (just wondering)?

Yes actually I think it can be pretty cool depending on what group, and what sub genre of it... I especially like just laying down and listening to it, while really only doing one other thing at the same time. Thinking.


If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, what would it be?

IMDB
That’s a tough one… I have to go with Chumscrubber, which is a great independent film.
I’ve never seen that one, but I’ve heard it’s very intense. Maybe I’ll check it out. From what I know of it, I’ll go ahead and let the rest of this audience know that this is an extreme parental advisory film and is rated R. If kids aren’t an issue, please check it and see for yourself what it’s all about…

Would like to give a short 100 word or less review of this film Justin?

I rather not simply because I find it challenging to summarize independent movies...

No worries Justin, I have trouble reviewing just about anything.


What makes you geek out?

Video games because I had a very nerdy phase and I know far too much about them. I also have a strong opinion on what makes a video game good.

 Video games are here to stay for anyone out there who doesn’t like them. Being a writer, I can see why you’d like video games. They are so creative. I think it’s cool that you like video games… I like comic books.


So what’s testing your patience right now?
IMDB

Game of Thrones season 3, it has a release date, but still… it’s just such an amazing series, and is even based on some really good books.

 I’ve read book one, but haven’t seen the series. I think I’ll wait to watch it all in one sitting. I’ve heard lots of people going gaga over this show.


When the soundtrack of your life is playing in your head, what songs express your glee and what songs bring out your rage?


Country and pop the majority of the time will be the genre that makes me go “Please turn it down”. Even though I am not against everything labeled as such, and I especially like Korean pop as far as pop goes. Songs that I love… well here are a few, but there are a lot of songs that I love. A Perfect Circle: Pet, The Outsider, Weak and Powerless, The Package, Rose, and Judith. Marilyn Manson: Mobscene, (S)aint, The Bright Young things, Disposable teens, Rock is Dead, okay so pretty much all of his songs, much rather not list them. Mindless Self Indulgence: Majority of their songs. 30 Seconds to Mars: A lot of their songs.  Danny Elfman: The Little Things. Like I said I love a lot of songs… so for now I won’t list them all. 

What’s the most fun experience you’ve ever had?

Isn’t really one that stands out. Whenever I travel I have a lot of fun, so probably one of my trips to Europe, or maybe the cruise I took to Greece, Turkey, and Egypt.

 Wow, how did we get this far into the interview and are just now learning that you are a world traveler? I think that’s great. I can only imagine and agree that traveling to these places would be a lot of fun.


Ok, humans, half-breeds, and everything in between, that’s all for today. For more from Justin Bruytens, check out these great links: