Friday, November 30, 2012

Interview 05: Bridget Straub


Greetings humans, half-breeds, and everything in between. A while back I had the pleasure to interview my new friend, Bridget Straub. She has been visiting the ECS as a guest and sharing loads of interesting insights into her work. Be sure to look around and see that she has to offer. Here are the results of our interview. A good time was truly had by all and here’s how it went down.
Hi there Bridget! It’s so awesome to have you here at the ECS Universe. Don’t worry about the darkness, your eyes will adjust.

 So tell me who is Bridget Straub?

I am an author, artist, and mother to three kids, although they aren’t all kids anymore. I write just about every single day and I love it! I also have created the covers on each of my books, and when I’m not writing, I’m usually drawing.

That’s so cool Bridget. I too like to draw though I don’t do it as much as I used to. I think it’s pretty sweet that you did your own covers. My cover for Eternal Curse: Giovanni’s Angel was a collaboration.

So whacha got for me today?

My third novel “The Salacious Marny Ottwiler” has just been released and is a comical look at a novelist whose life has spun out of control (and no, it is not autobiographical.)

Are you sure about that Bridget, I can’t seem to keep some of myself out of my books (hehe). Seriously, this sounds like a great read and of course it’s comical. I mean, the life of a writer, though few may know it, is never quite dull.

 So who’s staring is this 2 dimensional script read of “The Salacious Marny Ottwiller”?

Marny is as one reviewer said, “such a deliciously flawed main character, she's cynical and hopeful, funny and troubled, crazy and brilliant.” I loved that description because that’s it exactly. She’s trying to piece her life back together and instead of wallowing in self-pity when things don’t go as planned she just powers through.

I like the sound of that. I like characters that face harsh times like it’s just another day while still recognizing that is won’t be easy…Oh, and who doesn’t love a strong female character.

 Past, present, future, is there a rhyme or reason to your writing?

I like to write on my bed. I fantasize about having a great office and a beautiful desk, but the reality is that I’ve done it this way for so long that I would probably just sit there wasting time. Generally while writing I have Pandora on my laptop so that I can listen to music and on a good day I have a delicious Vanilla blended from The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf on the nightstand next to my bed. Some days I’m writing a post for my blog and then promoting my books, but I also have a few other novels in various degrees of completion that I can edit and/or continue.


Outstanding! I knew we were going to get along just fine from the start…I too right in bed and have thought about using a desk. I actually have one, but it’s mainly reserved for watching and waiting for print jobs and sending emails.

What author(s) has most influenced your writing? Why or how?

Even though I don’t write in the same genre, Ann Rice’s novel “The Witching Hour” made me want to be a better writer. I loved that I was never bored even when at times the depth of her detail could get overwhelming. Funnily enough I don’t read many authors over and over. In a way I am more drawn towards movies.

Shut up! Are you trying to make me gaga over you? Seriously, I have been inspired by authors that I write nothing like, seldom read authors more than once, and like you I find that sometimes I’m more drawn to movies.

So whose brain are you just itching to scratch?

I’ve said this before but it would be Emma Thompson. I find her to be authentically funny and talented, not only as an actress but as a writer. I adore her.

Yeah, she is pretty neat. I enjoy her work as an actress, but haven’t looked into her writing. I guess I’ll have to do that.

Who is so you and why?

I had to think about this one and decided that I both like and relate to Patricia Clarkson’s character in “Easy A”. I have teenage daughters and I love the parents in that movie. They are hilarious and yet they “get” their kids. Their sarcasm is playful but edged with love.


Again, wonderful. I like that you relate so well to movies and the characters therein. I find that while I love books and get caught up in their stories, I seem to relate to characters that have been presented to me on the big screen better.

What’s your ideal reading spot for your next highly anticipated read?

Amazon
I am looking forward to Reading Jenny Lawson’sLet’s Pretend This Never Happened”. I am hoping that I can get it for Christmas because I want the hardback, which is still my favorite way to read a book. Of course ideally when I do read it, I’ll have a Vanilla Blended at my side, along with some music on to block out any other noise.


That’s sounds cozy. I must admit that I don’t currently have a preference for how I read books, but I do cherish my hardcovers and paperbacks more, since I acquire so few of them. Aside from print books I also indulge myself in ebooks and audiobooks. This seems like it will be an interested read, memoirs usually are.

What was your favorite book or story, pre teen years?

*** Eloise! By Kay Thompson

Whoa there with the Eloise! You really got excited about that, but I can’t blame you. I get excited about my favorite childhood reads too.

Now this where the questions get a little kooky; are you ready?

You got it.

Alright then, here we go.

IMDB
If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, what would it be?

This is really hard! It would have to be something upbeat and funny and with great scenery. Possibly “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” or “Bridesmaids” which I didn’t expect to like but then enjoyed even more the second time I saw it than the first.

I’m with you on “Bridesmaids,” it was totally unexpected and very funny. People keep telling me that “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” was good, but I just couldn’t get into it. Oh well, can’t win’em all.

What makes you geek out?

Watching  The Voice!” I am constantly impressed by how talented every contestant on that show is. I look forward to it every week.

You know what’s crazy; my husband will watch that show from time to time. I’ve heard great things about it. I don’t watch much TV, but this seems like something worth viewing.

 So what’s testing your patience right now?

I’m curious to see “Silver Linings Playbook” with Bradley Cooper. I’ve heard really good buzz about it.
IMDB

Ooo, that’s a good one. Not too many people in my circle are excited about it, but that’s not unusual for me. I think this will be pretty good and a different kind of part for Cooper and Lawrence.


When the soundtrack of your life is playing in your head, what songs express your glee and what songs bring out your rage?

The last time I was really angry about something I had that Carrie Underwood song “Blown Away(<=listen) in my head. I was so annoyed by a friend of mine that I was walking down the street with the words “There’s not enough rain in Oklahoma to wash the sin out of this house”. I think that’s how it goes and it was on a loop in my head. As for my happy song I like “Mr. Brightside (<=listen) by the Killers as well as “Tenth Avenue Freeze Out(<=listen) by Bruce Springsteen.

Great choices all around. I love that you really dove into this question, so many are afraid to talk about being upset and how they deal with it. I have a sound track song for just about everything…Oh, and “Mr. Brightside” is an awesome song.

What’s the most fun experience you’ve ever had, to date?

Probably seeing Bruce Springsteen at the Santa Barbara Bowl, a small outdoor venue. All of his shows are always fun but this was back in the early days and it was magical.

I love that tone of nostalgia I just pick up from you. This sounds like it was magical. I’m not a huge Springsteen fan, but he does have some good songs that just can’t be ignored.

 Remind me again how I was lucky enough to meet you?

Through a Linkedin writing group.

Oh yeah that’s right. I’m all the time reaching out to meet new people and make connections. I’m sure glad you reached back out to me.

Not that you can see into the future, but in your opinion, what does the future hold?

I truly believe the future holds a lot of good times. I have faith in people and their ability to persevere and I am hopeful that we are all headed towards a steadier economy and a more peaceful existence.

What a wonderfully optimistic outlook on the future. I’m always seeking to be hopeful. Thank you so much, Bridget, for sharing with me this week. I wish you the best in all your endeavors.

Ok humans, half-breeds, and everything in between, that’s all for today. Be sure to follow this blog to see who will be visiting next time. For more from Bridget Straub, check out these great links: