Friday, December 7, 2012

Interview 06: Jimi Akanbi


Greetings humans, half-breeds, and everything in between. A while back, I had the pleasure to interview my new friend, Jimi Akanbi. He has been visiting the ECS as a guest and sharing loads of interesting insights into his work. Be sure to look around and see what he has to offer. Here are the results of our interview. A good time was truly had by all, and here’s how it went down.
Hi there Jimi! It’s so awesome to have you here at the ECS Universe. Don’t worry about the darkness, your eyes will adjust.

 So tell me who is Jimi Akanbi?

My name is Jimi Akanbi. I live in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. I have an MBA in Finance. I am completely sold out to God. I am a member of the prayer and intercessory team at my church. One evening, I miraculously received my calling from God to be in the writing ministry; and ever since I have been inspired to write for God’s kingdom. My hobbies include writing, reading, counseling, sports, movies, music, and dancing. I am easily approachable and look out for other people’s best interest.

It’s very refreshing to meet someone with such a faith drive life have so many interests. I too like movies, music, dancing, and of course reading.

So whacha got for me today?
My book discusses eleven key steps to understanding the power and ways of God. I use various scenarios in the natural to shed light on the things of the Spiritual. The content in the book are not just mere words, they were written by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. A discovery and application of these truths can transform the lives of its readers.

Well, this book seems to have a very systematic approach to applying spiritual principles. I’m sure this is just the kind of book that someone out there has been looking for. It’s a niche and a powerful one, at that.

 So who’s staring is this 2 dimensional script read of “Unleashing the Power of God”?



My main characters are God, Holy Spirit, Meshach, Shadrach and Abed-Nego. God is omnipotent, that is all powerful; and He has given us ability to tap into His power. The book discusses how the Holy Spirit can turn a man or woman from a failure to a success. Meshach, Shadrach and Abed-Nego were three Hebrew boys who exhibited unshakable faith in God despite the deadly consequence.

I’m familiar with story of the three Hebrew boys. It’s nice to know that are elements of yoru book that will be easily recognizable to most of the Judeo Christian population. As for others, I hope they enjoy the retelling of this impactful story.

 Past, present, future, is there a rhyme or reason to your writing?

As I earlier said, I did not just wake up one morning to start writing; I was miraculously called by God to write for His kingdom. It happened one evening, when I was listening to a celebrity pastor’s sermon on you tube, the moment the sermon ended, I started to receive downloads of revelations from heaven of which form the content of my book. I will be working on another book within the next four months; title is yet to be disclosed.

I guess God would be a great source of inspiration and motivation when writing a book. So many people are inspired and motivated by so many things, but I always seem to be drawn to people who are faith driven. I think my faith inspires a lot of my writing, but not all of it; I write so many different genres.

What author(s) has most influenced your writing? Why or how?

Pastor Joel Osteen has most influenced my writing because he writes in a very interesting, understandable, and to the point manner. Also, his books are very inspiring and motivational.

Good choice. He has reached many people with his writing.

 Whose brain are you just itching to scratch?

I would like to interview Pastor Creflo Dollar. This is because he has written many bestselling books, and myself as an author, I would like to know the secret to his success.

I don’t know if there’s much of a secret for someone like him. He already has a huge audience, but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t tell you something of value. I bet it would be a very interesting interview.

Who is so you and why?

Tyler Perry isn’t a fictional character, but I have been compared to him because he miraculously received his purpose almost in same manner as mine. He was watching Oprah’s show and heard her talk about writing, and suddenly God unleashed the desire and inspiration to write in his heart. His movie scripts always include a touch of God in them, and are free of profanity.

Tyler Perry seems like someone that would be pretty cool to be compared to, but I wonder, do you know anyone like Medea?

I know someone almost exactly like Medea. I cannot mention her name because she might pull a Medea stunt on me. She is rough, tough, ruthless, and wild.

What’s your ideal reading spot for your next highly anticipated read?
Amazon
I am currently in my room working on my laptop and reading Become a Better You by Joel Osteen. The book is in ebook format and I am excited to read it because I know it is life transforming and has received great reviews from readers.

I see you have a preference for strictly motivational or spiritual literature. Well, if that’s what moves you, then why not. You must read the type of material you write in order to be any good at it.

What was your favorite book or story, pre teen years?

Adventures of Tom Sawyer was my favorite pre teen book.

Good choice. It’s a classic and has much to offer, but I must admit it took me a long to appreciate it. That probably had something to do with the fact that it was required reading in school.

Now this where the questions get a little kooky; are you ready?

Absolutely!

Alright then, here we go.

If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, what would it be?
IMDB
Jumping the Broom produced by Bishop TD Jakes.

That’s a pretty funny movie, but also a little annoying. I love the message though. My mom won’t be happy to see me call it annoying because she loves that movie.

What makes you geek out?

I am a car lover. I love to study luxury and sport cars and their specifications.

Now that’s cool and first for this blog. I know a few people who are really into cars, but I know nothing about them myself. My husband is trying very hard to change that.

 So what’s testing your patience right now?

I am looking forward to releasing a new book; I have drafted a little bit of content but have not come up with a title yet. I will do as the Spirit leads me. I am also excited about seeing my two and a half year old son. I have not seen him for a while due to personal reasons.

Well Jim, it sounds like you are a very focused individual. I’m glad that you get to see your son soon.

When the soundtrack of your life is playing in your head, what songs express your glee and what songs bring out your rage?

Songs I love are; Seattle by Mary Mary (<=listen), Elshaddai by Amy Grant (<=listen), Close to you by Bebe and Cece Winans(<=listen). Songs I do not like are hard core rap songs and any song with profanity.

Yeah it’s hard these days to find many songs without profanity, but it’s cool that some songs are released with edited versions. I always wonder though, if they produced the edited version, why then to do they need the explicit one.

What’s the most fun experience you’ve ever had, to date?
The most fun experience I have ever had was the very first time I traveled to England. I stayed in a presidential palace and went shopping all week long. The sightseeing, amusement parks, restaurants, and malls were splendid.

I love to hear stories about travel. My husband traveled many places before we were married, but I’ve never really been anywhere except Las Vegas. Your trip sounds like it was a lot of fun.

 Remind me again how I was lucky enough to meet you?

I found ECS/Toi through linkedin.

Oh yeah, that’s right. The Book Marketing Group is a great place to network.

Not that you can see into the future, but in your opinion, what does the future hold?

In the next five years I will be known as a celebrity author all across the world. My calling and hard work proves this to be true.

Ok humans, half-breeds, and everything in between, that’s all for today. Be sure to follow this blog to see who will be visiting next. For more from Jimi Akanbi, check out these great links: