Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Review: City of Bones

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, book1) by Cassandra Clare

I give this book a 4.

A book about the existence and intermingling of angles with human beings, why wouldn’t I like this?

This is the Nephilim genre at its YA best, as its heroine Clary encounters the world of Shadowhunters for the first time. Clary isn’t a social outcast just waiting for some adventure to enter her life. She’s a normal teen with normal issues, but soon learns that she’s so much more. A chance encounter at a night club opens her up to a whole other world that exists in the shadows.

After Clary’s chance encounter, all she wants to do is go home and forget what she saw and hopes that “they” forget seeing her. But that would be too easy. Chance encounters or not, the world of the Shadowhunters was destined to come knocking at her door, and her mother knew this all alone. The problem now is that her mother is missing and she has to depend on strangers to help her find answers.

I really liked this book. I must admit that I allowed myself to be too hyped before reading it and was thus left a little disappointed. I wanted more, but I guess that’s why it’s a series. It’s no secret that I struggle with the YA genre. I have enough problems of my own that make it difficult for me to relate to the struggles of the ever changing, growing, and maturing mind of teenagers, but this book was good.

I adored the lore of this story and the way it plays into the actions of the characters. I liked the mixture of mysticism and magic. There were times, however, when I felt there was too much going on. There were too many creatures and beings to keep up with, but I guess it all worked for the story in the end.  This a definitely a good read for teens, but even adults with a passion for fantasy will enjoy this one.

*I was hoping for a little more spirituality to be infused with a story of this nature, but it is what it is.

This review has been posted to GoodReads.
 If you’d like to obtain a copy of this book, try these links: Amazon | Barnes & Noble.

Also, visit the ToiBox blog today for my review of Deadblood.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Click below to share your reactions and more. Remember, I’ll be moving to the ToiBox full-time soon, so please, stop by to check it out. Until next time, Toi Thomas. #cursescanbebroken #thetoiboxofwords