Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sample Sunday 35

Sample Sunday is a weekly posting from my pre-published work in progress Eternal Curse: Giovanni’s Angel. Each week I will post approximately 100 – 150 words from this installment of the series. Please visit the ToiBox to read samples of my other works.
Eternal Curse: Giovanni’s Angel chapter 8

I began to catch my breath as I looked around. I reached for my lantern and lit it. I looked down and pulled up the blanket I’d thrown over him. There lay this boy, a youth almost a man my age, but still a child. I remember thinking that he was pale, not quite white, but definitely lacking in color under the night sky. His body was bloody and bruised. There was a rope hanging from around his visibly bruised neck.
I reached down and tried to cradle him in my arms. I turned his head to look into his eyes, to see if he was conscious, but my reflexes were overloaded as my whole body jumped when my skin touched his. It felt like lightening was running through my body and pulling at me somehow. Then he looked at me. His eyes were black like charcoal; I’d never seen anything like it. It startled me so, that I let go of him and stumbled back a few feet.

Word Count: 169

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Click below to share your reactions and more. Remember, I’ll be moving to the ToiBox full-time soon, so please, stop by to check it out. Until next time, Toi Thomas. #cursescanbebroken #thetoiboxofwords